62.4 F
Highland
HomeHistorically SpeakingBank of Sidney remembered

Bank of Sidney remembered

BANK HISTORY — Thanks to Lowell “Butch” Hightower, we now have a c.1920 photo of the Bank of Sidney when it was located in the two-story building in the lower part of Sidney’s Main Street. Mr. Hightower believes the man wearing light-colored pants, with his legs crossed, is Charlie Hightower and the man, second from right, is Stanley Hightower.

The bank was opened in 1912, with Frank Battles, Porter Bone, Will Baker and Dan Yeager serving as the first board of directors. Lonnie Battles was the first cashier, but Cecil Pounders assumed that position in 1914.

Mr. Pounders continued with the bank for decades and many people living today remember him and his wife, Atalee, as the only employees! The bank was moved up the street in the 1930s and occupied a small store building which had been built by Edgar Gene Arnn.

Mr. Pounders died in 1975 and the Bank of Sidney was eventually sold to Security National Bank. The small photo of the original bank location (also known as the Masonic Lodge meeting place) was in the background of a photo found on Facebook.

From the “Remembering Sidney Arkansas” Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/sidneyarkansas)

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
- Advertisment -spot_img

Most Popular